Everton – Goodison Park

Goodison Park is the name of the stadium where Everton play.

The St Domingo Methodist Church Sunday School was opened in May 1870 and eight years later the football team using the St Domingo name played its first match in the south-east corner of Stanley Park, with the players carrying the posts from the park lodge on Mill Lane before fixing them into the metal sockets at either end of the crudely marked pitch.

St Domingo’s FC quickly established a local reputation for themselves and players were recruited from outside of the parish, precipitating a change of name in November 1879 – to EVERTON.

Comments are closed.